What can I do for exercise with my dogs when it’s cold outside?
I’ll be the first to admit, I’m not excited about going out for walks in the snow or rain or freezing cold. But, the dogs are always willing!
Here are some ideas for ways to have fun and get fit with your dogs this winter:
1. Play an indoor game. Throw a soft ball (Chuck-it makes an indoor soft ball you can chuck!) or hide a favorite toy and help your dog “seek”. Even in smaller spaces, you can both get some exercise by playing.
2. Take your dog along on an outdoor sport that you enjoy. You can take your dog along cross country skiing. Jessica, Chester and Gretel of You Did What with Your Wiener go snowshoeing together. It looks like a lot of fun!
3. Consider a dog treadmill. Krista of Dog Tread explains how a dog treadmill is a great way for your dog to get exercise when the weather outside is frightful. Wouldn’t it be fun to exercise on your own treadmill while your dog exercises on his own dog treadmill beside you?
4. Join K9 Fit Club! Tricia Montgomery founded a gym where people and pets work out together. Today there are more than a dozen K9 Fit Clubs across the country. If there’s not one near you, maybe you’d even want to consider opening one of your own!
5. Just Do It! Bundle up, and if your dog needs it put a sweater and booties on him and get out the door. Once you get moving, you’ll probably be glad you did!
6. Shameless promotion! You can also check out a copy of The Dieting with My Dog Guide to Weight Loss and Maintenance where you’ll find Jessica’s tips on snowshoeing, Krista’s advice on doggy treadmills, K9 Fit Club’s step by step floor exercises you can do with your dog, and more! What better way to make a workout more fun! (p.s. It would make a great Christmas gift, and if you email me now, I’ll get you a signed copy for 50% off!)
more positive pet tips, good news, and special offers? Fetch
my free newsletter, Pawsitively Pets. Kelly and Ike
hope to see you there!