Meet Marley, beautiful German Shepherd dog of Ellen Fay. Although Marely has been known to jump on the couch and greet delivery men enthusiastically, she’s proven that she’s got what it takes to be a Good Citizen. Marley, companion to Milo the pug and friend to all at doggy day care, recently passed the Canine Good Citizen test.
Requirements of this test include:
1. Allow a friendly stranger to approach, and sit still while being petted.
2. Behave politely around other dogs. Obviously, no aggression.
3. Cooperate for veterinary examinations and grooming.
4. Walk on a leash without tugging and going berserk. This is not the same type of healing as for obedience classes where the dog must be perfectly aligned and sit when you come to a stop. But a nice, easy walk.
5. Obey basic commands such as sit, stay and come.
6. Remain calm when left with someone else and the owner is out of sight.
I must say, Kelly has a little trouble with #2, and gets partial points off for #3 since she is wonderful with the veterinarian but doesn’t like the groomer (due largely to her major issues with #6).